Thursday, July 05, 2007

There and BECK Again



So I first watched -- and wrote about -- BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad early last year. But Yvette just started watching the second half of the series recently, so it's been on my brain. I've got no time to go on a BECK marathon again, what with everything I have to do, but I have the DVD playing as I work. The awkwardly-delivered English bits (both sung and spoken) are still a problem, but the series is still an absorbing, affecting piece of work, and it's still one of my favorites.

I admit, I'm curious about the Pinoy dubbed version. Hey, Raimund Marasigan as Taira-kun! Has anyone watched this? Is it any good?

And by the way, this... this is just wrong.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I've heard that the Pinoy dubbing is good. Not at all awkward, my friends say. But, personally, I haven't checked it out.

And, oh yeah: Who's in the photo? Are they the seiyuu for BECK?

Luis K. said...

Hi Sarah! :) Thanks for dropping by!

You know, I didn't consider that they might be seiyuu (voice actors, right?). I thought it was a photo from a horribly, horribly miscast live-action movie version. Hee hee. (I just pulled the photo off a DyBre mailing list post -- I should have read the post more carefully).

I think I'm still recovering from the first five minutes of the live-action Honey and Clover movie. I love that series so much -- I got the movie thinking it might be fun. But five minutes into it, I was just like, "This is wrong. Wrong. WRONG." And I could watch no more. ;p

Charles said...

My problem with Beck is that it's dragging. =(

For the manga, I know I was reading the 20+ volume but dropped it because there was no end in sight.

Luis K. said...

Hi Charles! I have yet to try the manga. The pacing of Beck the TV series is atrange. To me it sometimes seems events are happening at a good pace, and then all of a sudden they'll slow down or we get sidetracked somewhere. And then of course so much gets crammed into the last episode/s. Still, overall, I enjoyed it a lot. :)