Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Hornbyesque

"I once expressed to a friend my desire to be able to erase from my memory all of my favorite songs so that I might have the experience of hearing them again for the first time. It seemed to me that if I listened to a song I loved too often, I ran the risk of wearing it out. I was afraid that eventually it wouldn't move me in quite the same way. I would still want, maybe even need, to hear it, but the level of emotional intensity simply wouldn't be as high. With every listen, I would be looking for the magic and it would be gone. The passion would be traded for a friendly laugh, some small talk, and a pleasant goodbye until I felt like meeting up again. I have come to realize this is not so with the really great songs, the ones that are new every time, the true loves." -- from "On 'Alison'" by AD Hoover

From McSweeney's Internet Tendency: here are some short essays on favorite songs, inspired by Nick Hornby's Songbook (a.k.a. 31 Songs, to the local book-buying public).

I like it when they write about stuff that's kind of cheesy -- say, A-ha's "Take On Me" or that Aladdin song (Disney, not Bowie) -- and still convey how much it meant, and still means, to them, with unembarassed sincerity.

2 comments:

Camille said...

awesome that your column is online! =)

wanted you to know... with the risk of my sister getting a flunking grade hanging over my head as she was threatened not to repeat this! haha... your friend the up creative writing prof says that yours is the best story in this required reading anthology for her class =)

Luthien of the Woods said...

halo,
yeah, there is nothing like the first time in varied experiences that we have. Anyway, one thing i noticed is in listening to an all time favorite song is that everytime you listen to it, you always learn new things which were not there before. Maybe because as humans we constantly change and our experiences color the way we interpret things. A song may sound different given a different time, place and circumstances. So it does not become old cause we always re-write it ourselves.